Our Pastoral Lineage

1931 -1945: Reverend Thomas Jefferson Goodall

Antioch’s fourth pastor, Reverend Thomas Jefferson Goodall, accepted the call to pastor Antioch on November 1, 1931 during the great depression in this country. He had been the pastor of The First African Baptist Church of Savannah, Georgia (the oldest black church in North America – established in 1777) from 1915 to 1922.  During this administration, the “old red brick church” was completely remodeled.  The finance room, choir room, pastor’s study and prayer room were added to the structure.  The lot adjacent to the church was purchased.  This lot is currently the Antioch Park and is leased to the City of Houston. Additionally, the tower was screened, lights were installed, the sign “Jesus Saves” was placed on the tower, the organ was rebuilt and a beautiful art glass window was placed in the sanctuary.  These achievements were remarkable considering they occurred during one of the worst depressions in the history of the United States.  Reverend Goodall received and accepted the call from Bethany Baptist Church in Brooklyn, New York, in 1945.

© Antioch Missionary Baptist Church