Our Pastoral Lineage

1894 -1921: Reverend Fredrick Lee Lights

On January 29, 1894, Reverend Fredrick Lee Lights was called as the second pastor of Antioch.  Reverend Lights was the eldest of six children born to Reverend Fredrick L. Lights, Sr. and Mrs. Estelle Lights.  He was born July 4, 1859 in Plaquemine, Louisiana.  After emancipation, the Lights migrated to Bryan, Texas, where young Fredrick received his early schooling.  He was one of the first students to enroll in Hearne Academy at Hearne, Texas.  Reverend Lights was converted at the Shiloh Baptist Church in Bryan, Texas, in 1875.  This church was organized by his father in 1870.  His ordination ceremony was held at the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church at Edge, Texas, on August 11, 1882.  He was officially installed as Antioch’s second pastor on the second Sunday in March, 1894.

Reverend Lights was recognized for his qualities of leadership in Baptist circles locally, state-wide, nationally and internationally.  For many years he was President of the Foreign Mission Convention of Texas and an officer in the National Baptist Convention.  He assisted in the establishment of the Western Star, a weekly newspaper, and was chosen President of the Orgen (Negro spelled in reverse) Bank.  Reverend Lights served as President of the General Board of Trustees of Missionary and Educational Convention, President of the Minister’s Alliance of Houston, and Treasurer of Old Land Mark Association.  Although engaged in a multiplicity of activities, he found time to do community service as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Houston Academy.

In 1912, Reverend Lights used his influence to bring the National Baptist Convention to Houston where Booker T. Washington visited with him and addressed the convention delegates.

Reverend Lights was noted for his keen sense of spirituality, which was frequently manifested in the great revivals he conducted.  In one revival, more than four hundred and fifty people were united with Christ.  The second floor was added during the first part of his administration and the south and west wings were added near the end of his tenure.  Reverend Lights recommended the present semi-circle structure for the sanctuary; installed seven ceiling fans for the comfort of the congregation; and replaced a single spire with four small spires on the tower. A baptistry, pipe organ and electric lights were also installed in the sanctuary.  Reverend Lights passed away in 1921 after serving Antioch for twenty-seven years.

© Antioch Missionary Baptist Church