About Us

Praise and Worship through Ministry Since 1866

In 1866, members of Antioch worshiped under a "bush arbor" erected on the edge of Buffalo Bayou, and as membership grew, a box-house type structure was constructed at "Baptist Hill" (on the corner of Rusk and Bagby) for church ministry and service. 

During the tenure of Reverend Jack Yates, the membership of Antioch Missionary Baptist Church grew more than four-fold and the box house at "Baptist Hill" could no longer accommodate the growing congregation adequately. 

And, on the first Sunday in August 1879, the congregation marched from “Old Baptist Hill” to the new brick church on Robin Street, the first brick structure in Houston to be built and owned by African-Americans located in the center of Freedman's Town...
© Antioch Missionary Baptist Church